Skip to main content

Featured Post

Scrap your Summer

Join me on the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog for a Scrapbook Layout...?  Oh yeah... I went all scrappy for this post.  I am sharing my NEW about to release TINBIT TRAVELS Collection with Wild Whisper!    Swing by the    Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog  for a full tutorial!   PIN IT   EAT. SLEEP. CRAFT. {repeat}

Altered Pickle Jar

Saving Money in a Pickle Jar...for a trip to AUSTRALIA!!!
 
I have a unique opportunity here to show my kids if you a set a goal and save for it you can achieve it.  And why can't we have fun saving money with a re purposed jar!  So, I retrieved this huge pickle jar (my family are pickle pigs) from the recycle bin and set it aside for it's crafty makeover!  Check it out!!!!  I'll show you how I got there.  And how we are saving for a trip to Australia!
 
I glued the paper down with Modge Podge.  It won't be smooth but thats what I like about it.  At the top where the jar goes in.  I used 3 sizes of circle punches and punched the matching left over paper,  creating almost a fish scale look.  Glue these down and curl the ends, large circles on the bottom and smallest on the top.  I found 3 layers was enough.  Then I added a little ink.

It can't get more "REAL LIFE" than this!  I have some 7 Gypsies tags in my crafty stash and attached this tag to the lid.  Glue some ribbon to hid the lid colour.

I went to my LSS where (and yes...they know my name) they helped my pick out this awesome surf board paper to wrap my jar.  I then cut a few circles in different sizes, 3/4"- 2" with my Cricut to create peep holes.  So we can watch it grow! 

My GF has the TH Vintage Valise die.  Perfect for adding some puffy Aussie stickers I got.  A little hot glue helps them to stick on this rounded surface.

I hauled out my favorite die, TH Word Play and cut on grunge board AUSTRALIA.  Because of the round jar, I found hot glue works best for adhering everything! 

My husband cut a small slit in the metal lid using the Dremel.  Very thin making it impossible for anyone to shake out some change.  Then he glued it shut with Gorilla Glue.  No one is getting in!  I cut another circle with my Cricut and glued the matching paper for the lid.  Then some more puffy Aussie stickers.

All our change is going in.  The kids put their money in that they earn too from chores, babysitting and jobs they pick up.  Even the wash machine contributes!

Our close friends and neighbors moved to Australia a couple of weeks ago.  Our kids have grown up together and formed close bonds.  We are hoping to save for the next year and a half and go visit them in their new home in Sydney.  So far the rough estimatge is around $400.  We have even been selling stuff we have been storing and no longer use and adding a portion to the jar. 

Saving money this way is fun for everyone.  It's pretty enough to leave on the mantle in the living room too.  This way we have easy access to feed it and keep our dream going.  Lets hope I get to make another one once we fill this one!
Photobucket

Comments

  1. I love this idea Nicole, I'm doing one similar! I saved a huge hot chocolate tin and am decorating it up for a trip to Ireland for our 10th Anniversary. Love the way you decorated yours all up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! Talk about making saving money fun!! Thanks for sharing with us! :) I love how you decorated your pickle jar! Good luck saving to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea and so great for everyone to contribute Love the decorating job as well.. Take Care and good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to save money! I love it and I'm totally inspired to make one for our kids to save up! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome Idea!!Love it!TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this idea!!!! I think I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your saving! Australia would be such an incredibly fun trip :D The jar is too cute, makes you want to put money in it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts